Festivals round up – September
Here’s our usual round up of what’s happening in the local area in September. It’s always a busy month
- Journee de Patrimone (Mid September) – ‘Day of Patrimony’ allows access to buildings that are normally closed to the public, open for the weekend.
- Fete de Gastronomie (end of September) – Nationwide appreciation of food in France, promotes all the delights of French cuisine, chefs give food demonstrations, reduced prices for meals, markets with good offers, etc. http://www.economie.gouv.fr/fete-gastronomie/accueil
Saint Jean de Luz & Urrugne
- Classical Music Festival – Academie Maurice Ravel (Start September) concerts from the Maurice Ravel Academy of Music. Festival de Musique en Cote Basque (2nd – 18th September) Classical music from the Cote Basque, concerts in SJDL and Biarritz.
- Bixintxo/Fete D’Urrugne (usually the start) – Corrida pedestre, 9.3km run and live music, Basque dances, childrens activites, pelotte games, fireworks.
- Fete de la Corniche (end of September) – The wonderful coastal road between Ciboure and Hendaye is closed for the day. You can enjoy by foot, bike, horse or train with lots of activities along the way. Great day out for the family.
Biarritz & Bayonne
- Latin American Festival – (End of Sept) Originally a film festival, expanded to free concerts, art, dance, etc. http://www.festivaldebiarritz.com/
- Le Temps d’aimer (Mid September) dance festival, mixture of classical and contemporary dance.
- Fetes D’Automne/Udazkeneko Bestak in Bidart (Mid September) – music, basque dancing, pelotte, etc.
San Sebastian & Spain
- Euskal Jaiak/Basque Festivals (Start of Sept) – Extensive programme of rural sports and traditional dances, a celebration of the Basque culture.
- La Concha Flag (First two Sundays of the month) – Rowing race trophy in the bay of San Sebastian.
- International film festival (Mid Sept) – one of the most sought after film events in Europe (on a par with Cannes and Venice) http://www.sansebastianfestival.com/
- Kutxa Culture Festival (Start September) – A weekend of live international music at the Igeldo Amusement Park, last year Bloc Party was one of the headline acts and what a view. – http://www.igeldofestibala.com/
- Festival Alarde (8th September), Hondarribia Lasting 24 hours thousands of participants, grouped in 20 companies, walk around the streets and squares with a mixture of shots, drums, fifes and so on. The atmosphere is lively and very welcoming. Plenty of stuff to do for the kids. Catch the Ferry from Hendaye (only 7 minutes) which runs through the event till the early morning hours.
- Fete de Sare/Sarako Bestak (Mid Sept) A true basque celeberation 5 days of pelotte games, Basque dancing, children’s activities in this beautiful mountain village.
- ‘Latinossegor‘ (Start Sept) Latin music festival in Hossegor. Chilled back surfer vibe mixed with latin beats in the lovely town of Hossegor makes for a great little festival.